Sunday 23 January 2011

Tired of the same old ideas...

Just seen something about climate change so thought I'd write down some thoughts and see where it takes me....

Barely an hour goes by without us being reminded that we need to turn off our lights or eat more hummus instead of steak, but is it making any difference to the world?

People cruise around in their hybrid or electric cars seemingly immune to the irony of the colossal environmental damage caused in the building of their vehicles and blissfully ignorant to the fact that when they plug their car into the wall, the electricity they are using is more than likely coming from a massive natural gas power station.

Of course I exaggerate but I think people are so bored of hearing about climate change, and to be fair I don't really blame them. People have lives and jobs and families such that saving the planet features pretty low on their "to do" list.

Ill conceived quick fix-ideas like Sulphur Dioxide aerosols are banded about as being sexy new technologies to solve all our weather woes but when it comes down to it the real issue is surely sociological.

We consume more than we need, we waste what we don't use and we carry on having babies!
Am I any different, of course not!
I work hard, get paid fairly and enjoy the things in life that I feel I deserve.

So how do you change consumerist, self-confident and mostly successful society into an altruistic utopia?

Answers on a postcard.

Here's a link to some ideas that may be worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment